Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chocolate Covered Peep...on a Stick

Ok...after typing that title...all I can hear in my head is "Jalepeno....on a steeeeeeeeeck" in my best (which is pretty bad) Mexican accent.  Ha!

Anyway, I was blog-surfing holiday stuff a couple of weeks ago, looking for something easy to make that my 2.5 year old son could help me with but that also tasted delish! And that's when I saw a yummy treat on this blog. Chocolate dipped Peeps!

Brilliant!

I got the lollipop sticks, lollipop bags and pink Wilton melting chocolate (they are like little disc-shapes) from Michael's.  The Peeps from Target on one of our many runs!

It's all pretty self-explanatory but for those who like directions, here is what we did:

1.  Melt the Wilton chocolates in a mug (I chose a thin, deep mug that could accomodate the whole Peep body). I prefer to microwave my chocolate becuz it's super easy and quick. I added about a teaspoon of Crisco to thin it out and microwaved at 15 second intervals, mixing every now and then to remove any clumps.

2.  This next step, I was aided by my little mini-Chef.  I dipped the lollipop stick in the chocolate myself and tapped off the excess, then let Hunter help me push the lollipop stick into the Peep.




Make sure you go far enough in (but not poking through his head...aaaahhh, bunny brains!) becuz one of the Peeps I let Hunter do, he didnt' and it almost fell off the stick when I was dipping it into the chocolate!


3.  I don't know if you need to, but I put the Peeps in the fridge for a few minutes so they'd be nice and cold, ready for dipping into the hot melted chocolate.

4. This next step was handled strictly by Mommy. Dip the Peep into the schocolate and then shake off all the excess by tapping the stick against the side of the mug.

You're not crazy. That IS a regular marshmallow that I'm dipping. We did a couple of those as well!

Our sprinkle mine-field. Heh. We made quite the mess!
5. And now it's "prinkle" time, as my son would say! Now obviously if you clicked the link to the blog where I got this idea from, you'll see her Peeps are SUPER cute and way more professional looking. She put on adorable faces and bunny tails using candy and little marshmallows.


 I wanted to keep this simple, for the sake of Mommy's sanity, so we stuck to just sprinkles.











Since most of these are being gifted to children and family, I'm sure they will be fine with how they look. ;-)



6.  These dry pretty quickly so we packaged them up immediately after and of course, made sure to sample a Peep or two.

I seriously underestimated how yummy chocolate covered Peeps could taste!  Yum! And my little taste-taster approved.





1 comment:

  1. haha pinkles! Jack calls them Finkles! I guess that is a tough word!

    ReplyDelete