Saturday, April 14, 2012

No-Sew Tie Applique Shirt

Been seeing something cute all over the Internet lately....

....Tie Shirts!!

What is a Tie Shirt, you ask?


Fabric, that is applied on a onesie or a shirt, as an iron-on...A-dorable!

Okay, this is super easy. If I can do it, YOU can do it. Seriously!

First I went to Goodwill and got two plain white shirts, one for my son ($2.49) and one for my daughter ($1.49). I actually WANTED red, becuz I was going for a more patriotic feel for the upcoming holidays, but unfortunately there were no solid red (no print) shirts at the Goodwill store I went to. Oh well!

Next, I made a trip to Joann's with my 40% digital coupon in hand! (Did you know you can download the Joann's app on your smart phone and voila! Digital coupons will always be available for your shopping trips. Brilliance!)

I started out looking at the Red Dot fabrics but then from afar, I spotted the looooooong line at the fabric cutting counter and then I looked down at my two tired (ie: SICK OF SHOPPING) 2.5 and 1 year old and pondered my dilemma.  I pondered it until I saw the millions of pre-wrapped Fabric Squares and realized my problem was solved! I picked out a couple choices ($1.99 each) and then searched high and low for...Wonder Under. Would you believe I asked THREE employees before finally, FINALLY someone knew what I was talking about and was able to help me? Sheesh.  So I bought a yard of it for $3.49 (becuz I have some other applique projects on the back burner), along with all my other crafty goodies, and headed on home.

I had already cut out my tie template.  I'm kinda embarrassed to admit, but, our darn printer is not working right now (I've asked hubby a bunch of times to look at it for me becuz I can't figure out what is wrong, but he obviously keeps forgetting)....SO....I grabbed a pencil, a sheet of tissue paper and laid the tissue over my lap top screen and LIGHTLY drew my template, then cut it out.

Pretty lime green tissue, hmmm?



Next, I traced it onto regular paper so it be sturdier (next time I will probably use card stock instead of just regular copy paper, like I did).

And now we are ready! I ironed up my shirts (after washing and drying) and set them aside.  Then take a piece of Wonder Under and placed it on the table, ROUGH SIDE UP. I laid my piece of (cut to match the rectangle of W.U.) fabric, with the BACK SIDE DOWN against the rough side of the Wonder Under.

 Iron the pieces together then let it cool a minute.

In case you are wondering, these pics are of the shirt I made for my daughter,
which was a heart...not a tie.   But I forgot to take pics while making his shirt!

Next, flip your fused pieces over so the Wonder Under side is up, then trace your template onto the paper.  Now you are ready to cut out your two pieces of your tie shape!

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the next step, but it's pretty self explanatory.  Lay your tie pieces down onto your shirt. I put the curve of the "knot" of the tie right up against the collar of the shirt and then the bottom half of the tie I put under it, over-lapping the "knot" slightly over the bottom half.  Hold it in place, then iron onto your shirt!

Adorable holiday shirts completed!


I showed the hubby when he got home and he laughed and told me it was "Cool looking".  The next morning, my son was SO EXCITED to see his shirt that Mommy made for him!


I convinced him to try it on (with bed-head and his jammie pants still on, ha!) but convincing him to smile AND look at the camera at the same time? Not so easy. ;-)





One more time, NO SEW, baby! I have NO CLUE how to sew and I was really excited to stumble upon these cute shirts. I know some crafty ladies like to throw a stitch in around it, and I haven't decided yet if I'll ask my Grandma-in-law to do that for me, or see how these hold up in the wash without the stitch.  Either way though, go make these shirts! They are ADORABLE and super cheap to make!  For two shirts, I spent approximately 9 or 10 bucks!!
My handsome little model did a great job!






No comments:

Post a Comment