Friday, May 18, 2012

Extreme Couponing...I am NOT!

But looking to save some money? YES, I am!!

With being temporarily unemployed, I've been looking at different ways this month to pay a little bit less.  Man, it's like a full-time job!

Those Extreme Couponers are HARDCORE.

While I would love to spend only $20 on a $400 shopping trip, right now I'm not able to devote a ton of time to couponing like some of these people do!

But I've been checking out sites and blogs and trying to figure out where I can save a little bit here and there.

My first foray into couponing was at Target today. While I have quite a few coupons printed out, there was only a couple fo things I actually needed to get there: diapers for both kids, shower gel for Daryl, hand soap for the kitchen and toothpaste for me and Big D.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any manufacturer's coupons but I just brought in my Target coupons with me.

My first deal was the diapers. 

I bought two boxes of diapers: Size 5 (70/box) and Size 6 (60/box). The diapers were $13.99 each box.  If you bought TWO boxes of the Target Up and Up brand diapers, you would receive a $5.00 Target gift card at the register, good for your next purchase.  Plus I had a Target coupon for $1.00 off (of COURSE, I got home and went online and Target now has a $2.00 off coupon. Damn it!).  So it was 13.99 x 2 = $27.98.  Minus -$1.00 = $26.98.  Then the $5.00 gift card which technically is money back, so you can say you reduced the diapers to: $21.98 total. That's $10.99 per box! I'm tempted to go back and do this all over again, this time using the $2.00 off coupon, bringing it to $9.99 per box!  As nice as that is, you can make it even cheaper obviously by buying a smaller sized package of diapers. I am tempted to go back and get some more.

Edit: I did it. I went back and bought another two boxes. We go through diapers like water in this house so it was totally worth it to me to make another trip and utilize that $2.00 off coupon AND $5.00 gift card back!


My other deals this week are the three toiletry items we needed: Daryl's Axe Shower Gel, our toothpaste and some Up and Up Target brand hand soap.  I had coupons for all three. Here is the breakdown:



1.  Axe Shower Gel regular price: $.3.49. I had a coupon for $2.00 off dropping it down to $1.49 a bottle. This is a great price for Axe!

2.  UP and UP Hand soap regular price is $0.99 bottle. I had a coupon for $.50 off. So that dropped my bottle of hand soap down to $0.49! Woo hoo! I'm DEFINITELY getting another bottle of it. We go through hand soap like crazy between our bathroom and kitchen. (When I went back the next day to get more diapers, I got more Axe shower gel and hand soap, as well. I had the coupons and we will use them right up!)

3.  Aqua Fresh Extreme Clean toothpaste on sale for 2/$6.00. I only wanted one tube at $3.00. I had a coupon for $1.50 off dropping the cost of the toothpaste down to $1.50. Not the best price always but it made me happy. I wish the kids weren't getting so antsy becuz they had a different Aqua Fresh on sale for 2/$4.00 and I was wondering if the coupon could be applied to that (even though it said "Extreme Clean" on the coupon).

Grand Total Before coupons and savings for all 3 products:  $7.48

Grand Total AFTER coupons and savings for all 3 products:  $3.48!

AWESOME, considering I can normally spend that much on just the Axe!  It's just about a 50% savings. Good, but I'd like to do better!
Now, last but certainly not least, is the clothes! I had NO INTENTION of buying any clothes becuz money is tight. That being said, I saw quite a few Clearance Racks and of course my curiosity was piqued! Since these babies of mine have ruined my body, heh heh, I pretty much have NO clothes that fit. I have two pairs of jeans that I wear over and over. And for the summer time I have 1 pair of shorts that fits, and maybe 1 (possibly 2?) fitting pairs of capris. Not much in the way of shirts either.

So, just for ha-ha's I stopped to look at the clearance, also knowing I had a couple of Target's clothing coupons in my pile as well.

Here is what I picked up:


These tank tops were $2.40 each.


There were 3 different colors on the rack so I scooped them up. Those are cheap tanks! Do you think it's strange I bought 3 of the same shirts in different colors? When I like something (like tank tops and flip flops, my obsession!) I tend to stock up in multiple colors.

I picked up aother tank, slightly different style w/a pocket, for $4.98.

They DID have one in a different color but I wanted to make sure I liked the fit of it before i bought 2 in that style.  I did like it so when I went back to get more diapers, I got the blue tank as well.

For five tank tops I spent: $17.16. Not too bad.



Anyway, I've got my coupon binder all set up now and my Internet-printed off coupons in it already. I'm waiting impatiently for Sunday's insert so I can start clipping some more. I don't have any intentions of becoming an Extreme Couponer, but I sure do plan on saving some money and getting some cheap (or in some cases, free!) products! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment